Shay is now two months old which is just crazy to me… time is flying. While I’m in the midst of the newborn stage, I wanted to share 5 of my favorite things to have at home to get you through those first few months. We’ve used all of these items with three babies now so I think it’s safe to say we love them all and have gotten great use out of them.
- Owlet // First & foremost… the Owlet. HANDS DOWN my favorite newborn necessity. Three years later, this is still the only thing that allows me to sleep at night when we have an infant in the house. The Owlet is a sock that monitors baby’s heart rate and oxygen level while he sleeps. It will alert you if levels go below a safe zone. The Owlet connects to your WiFi; you are also able to check on baby’s stats through the app if you’re away from them for the night – your phone will be notified along with the base station if there’s an issue. This little smart sock totally gives me peace of mind during all of baby’s sleep phases… when he is an itty bitty infant, starting to roll and sleep on his belly, and when you transition him into his own room. If you’re concerned at all about baby sleeping, I think it is definitely worth looking into! Read the reviews and do your own research, but I know so many parents who have invested in the Owlet and love having it.
- Dock-A-Tot // Another investment, but well-worth the money in my opinion. This portable sleeper is completely breathable, lightweight, and easy to cart around the house (and travel with). It “hugs” baby a little bit while he sleeps – all 3 of mine have slept well in the DockATot. If you’re planning to co-sleep, travel, or are looking for a safe sleeping option I’d recommend this baby item.
- Boppy Lounger // What our babies are in if they’re not being held or sleeping for the night… love the Boppy Lounger. It’s comfy and allows baby to hang out while being kind of upright. I’ve also put baby in this after feedings if he has a little bit of reflux. I carry this thing with me everywhere in the house… it can be propped up on the couch, table, or ground… you name it. This is a great option to have when you need a place to put your little one down.
- *UPDATE* I wrote this post a while ago, and since then, we’ve decided to try out this BABYBJORN Bouncer. Shay loves it! I personally think the price point is steep, but if you’re planning on having more than one kid this might be something you’d want to add to your registry. One of the only reasons we were open to trying this bouncer out is because we’re planning on having one more. As long as we use it, it’s worth it in my eyes!
- Cushioned Changing Pad // We keep this plush changing pad in the living room which is where we take care of most diaper changes. I registered for this (+ 2 pad covers) with Drake and have had the same one since. I just keep it behind the couch and pull it out whenever we need to use it.
- Portable Sound Machine // Great for bedtime, the car, or anywhere in the house. All of our kids use sound machines – their rooms sound like a plane is landing at night 😛 – but everyone sleeps! This one gets loud enough to block out sound for an entire room if you need it to. The boys also have Dohm White Noise Machines but we still use the portable one a lot.