Tomorrow is our 37 week appointment and our bag is finally packed! Not going to lie… we didn’t do much to prep for this baby up until this weekend. I’m not sure if our laid back approach is because we still feel we have time (which we really don’t… thought my water was going to break last night) or because this is our third baby. I mean we do have all the big stuff in our basement, ready to go – it’s just a matter of bringing it upstairs. Nothing that will take a lot of time. Regardless, it feels good to at least be prepared enough to grab & go once things start to happen.
Below are my go to items for Mom & Baby. I’m pretty sure that everything packed is stuff we’ll actually use:
- Nursing Tanks // I’ve had the same Ingrid & Isabel Nursing Tanks from Target since Drake was born. I stocked up on them when I was 2 days postpartum and they’ve been great to have. I wear them throughout my pregnancies as well. I usually don’t wear a bra with them and will just add nursing pads if needed. They come with a built-in bra so the pads stay in place. Super convenient set-up for when you’re just starting to breastfeed.
- Nursing Bras // To wear under regular tees or if you’re hurting and need extra support.
- Men’s Underwear // While many What I pack in My Hospital Bag blog posts are pretty similar, there’s one item you never see – men’s underwear. My favorite postpartum necessity! I started doing this when we got home with our firstborn. I had bought postpartum underwear but it just didn’t give me the coverage and support I was looking for. I didn’t like the “normal underwear fit” and was worried about being even more uncomfortable than I already was. Nate went out and bought a pack of men’s underwear and BOOM – problem solved. The extra room is perfect for the large pads you’ll be wearing those first few weeks. I actually continue to wear the mesh underwear that the hospital provides, and then add the men’s underwear over those. It gives you just the right amount of “tightness” and support in the areas where you need it.
- A few oversized tees, maternity leggings, and a lightweight cardigan
- Button-Up PJ Set // I treated myself to this leopard set I found on Amazon. I hope that every mom treats themselves to something new to wear in the hospital or postpartum – you deserve it, and you’ll be happy you have it! Just make sure it’s functional and super comfy. 🙂
- Junky Slippers/Flip flops // I always bring my “garage slippers” as I like to call them. My nasty slippers that I wear in the garage during the spring and fall. Gross, I know – but we’re garage people, and I don’t like wearing shoes in the garage. Anyways… these are only worn outside, which is why they’re perfect to walk around in at the hospital and then throw out after. I like the kind that are slipper socks with the sticky bottoms. These are especially helpful to have on hand when you’re walking on tile floors right after you’ve given birth. I also bring a junky pair of flip flops to wear in the shower and when we walk the hospital halls.
- Toiletries // All the normal necessities, plus my make-up bag and favorite face mask/lotion. I already packed the travel size items and have a list on our bathroom counter of last minute stuff to grab.
- Phone Chargers
- Boppy // Nursing Moms – I’m sure you all have a Boppy. Even if you’re not planning to nurse, I think having one with you in the hospital is super convenient. You’ll be swollen and sore, so it’s nice to get yourself comfortable and then have the Boppy to prop your baby up on.
- PJs & Baby Socks // I’d recommend zipper PJs (with footies) that have the built-in hand covers.
- Going Home Outfit // We’ll use the same one we did for Drake & Ford. <3
- Favorite Swaddle Set // Can’t wait to bundle our little babe in this swaddle set.
Nate has his pile of clothes and toiletries packed in this bag as well. Don’t forget your infant carseat. 🙂
One other thing to keep in mind – a little something for your nurses! Chick-Fil-A giftcards are always our go-to.