I love the idea of decorating with mixed metals. I think it’s classic and beautiful. However, I had no idea how to decorate a room with both silver & gold without making it look too modern. I did a lot of browsing and used the following 5 tips to help me achieve the look I was going for: soft and welcoming.
5 TIPS & TRICKS:
- Think neutral – Pairing mixed metal decor against a neutral-painted wall or with neutral furniture makes it feel softer.
- Pick a primary metal – Don’t go into this thinking you need an even amount of each! It’ll look more cohesive if you have a dominant color. I went for muted tones and used silver as my main color.
- Space them out – Make sure to add in the accent metal in an area where you’re seeing a lot of your dominant pick. I added the gold side tables & gold pillow on the couch because those areas were predominantly silver/gray.
- Add texture & greenery – I love the idea of neutral, solid colors with different textures and a pop of print. Here, I used throw blankets with different textures, a few fuzzy pillows, and two printed pillows to tie in the mixed metal theme. I also think adding a plant or two to any room is a great staple. Orchids are low-maintenance and only need to be watered 1-2 times a week — that’s why the one pictured is still alive.
- Get yourself a lamp – AMBIANCE! Lamps make every room feel like home. 🙂
RANDOM TIP: Draw it out. This helps me get an idea of how to decorate the room — particularly what decorative pieces I’m looking for and what colors I’d like to find them in when I’m shopping around.